Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tolerance...

Where do I start on this subject?

I have grown up all my life around the church...Sunday mornings, Sunday nights, Wednesday evenings, Awana programs, church camp, youth group, Sunday school (etc). Then to top it off, I went to a Christian school every day of the week. I can honestly admit that it wasn't until my late highschool years, early college years that I was truly walking with the Lord! When I was a little girl I accepted Jesus into my heart...but not until later on in my life did I really understand the true meaning of being a Christian. It became who I am...not what my weekly life was involved around...church. There's a huge difference when you let the Holy Spirit lead you in your life versus playing "church" every other day in your life. But, the reason I even write this blog is because this subject has been laying HEAVY on my heart and mind. Lately I have been struggling with the tolerance we have in our walk. The problem with this subject is that as a Christian we have to be careful not to cast judgement on people. But, I believe there is a difference between judging and keeping each other accountable for what's right. I see my generation lacking in the area of keeping each other accountable and standing up for what's right. I'm only pinpointing two areas that I have seen firsthand recently in conversation with other believers...drinking and profanity. Some might read this and think, "well this doesn't apply to me"...or some might read this and say, "this does apply to me"...yet still go on doing what they are doing and not feel the need to change.

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
2 Timothy 4:3

DRUNKENNESS:
I recently asked another believer why they drink...they told me the normal reasons a Christian who drinks would give...you know..."Jesus drank wine...there's nothing wrong with drinking as long as you don't get drunk..." Etc. On this matter, I will let the scripture speak for itself: 

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what Gods will is-His good, pleasing, and perfect will is. Romans 12:2

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;  idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions  and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

*Drunkenness is a mark of the flesh, which is the sinful part of us. Those who live indulging in the lusts of the flesh - one of which is drunkenness - are not living for God and listening for the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
I Corinthians 6:9-10

...Be ye holy; for I am holy. I Peter 1:16


Romans 14:21 says "It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak."
Innumerable Christians claim their "Christian Liberty" when it comes to social drinking. In order to do that, they must turn their backs on this passage of Scripture. "Sipping Saints" have given multitudes of people an excuse to drink. More than once, I have heard a believer say "there is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. Pastor so and so even says it is OK."
The problem is, drinking often sets off a chain reaction of influences that are like tipping over the first domino. Drinking causes some to stumble, others to be offended, and many to be weakened.

*Here the seriousness of drunkenness is obvious. No drunkard will be found in heaven, for it is a sin and therefore cannot exist there because of God's holiness.  Therefore if drunkenness will not be allowed in heaven, why should it be practiced here on earth?

PROFANITY: (Where do we draw the line?)
I can only say this:  If you would not use those words when speaking to your mother or father, in church, to your pastor, in a job interview, or when speaking with someone you have just met, then they are clearly inappropriate for use, regardless of one’s immediate company. Christians are not Chameleons, changing colors to blend into their immediate surroundings.  We are to be lights in the world, noticed, and set apart, through our word and our actions.

Christians need to always be aware of how their speech is going to be understood by those around them. As it is, the message of the Gospel is going to offend many  – our use of language should not offend them.
One indictment of Christians that I’ve heard is that “Oh, he says he’s a Christian, but listen to him talk. Swears like a sailor… I Wonder if he talks that way in church on Sunday” or something similar. We can, and should, make our points clear without resorting to profanity. 

I speak from experience of where I have been to where I believe the Lord has brought me. I use to be one who spoke words of profanity from time to time and never thought twice about it...until I was called out one day...immediately I asked God to take that bad habit away from me...and He did!  I make mistakes and realize that I am a sinner saved ONLY by Gods grace...but, I also know that when the Holy Spirit lives in you...He guides you along, even in this crazy life, and helps direct you in the right path. Sometimes, all we have to do is just ask Him to take the things that so easily entangle us here on earth. The truth is, we were not freed in order that we might do or say as we please. We were freed so that we could finally be able to become like Christ. Phil 2:4-5 Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not his own interests, but also each for the interests of others. Let this same attitude and purpose and mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus.

I have been praying that my generation will open their eyes to the things, I believe, are setting us back.Let's be a generation marked with holiness.
2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

We have tolerated this too long...It's time to TAKE A STAND FOR WHAT'S RIGHT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment